When symptoms suit, Baryta carbonica (Bar-c.) is useful for all ages but is more often needed at either end of life – during childhood or old age.
Children needing Bar-c are anxious and prone to swollen glands, especially the tonsils. Mental and physical development is often slow causing delays in learning to walk, talk, or read. They may be small for age and have poor development of body parts, especially the genitals and reproductive organs.
On reaching adulthood, those needing Bar-c are often described as looking young for their age.
During old age, childlike senility and anxiety is common. Body parts or organs may shrink, especially the genitals. Arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) leads to heart disease and cerebrovascular accidents (strokes).
Other symptoms associated with Bar-c include frequent colds, weakness after eating, or sensitive to cold air but feeling hot on waking.
- Delayed mental development. Slow comprehension.
- Indecisive and dependent on others. Passive and easily influenced. Timidity, bashfulness, extreme shyness.
- Feelings of vulnerability and insecurity.
- Lack of self-confidence with feelings of inferiority.
- Hiding behind furniture or mother, especially from strangers.
- Nervous nail-biting.
- Imagine they are watched, talked about, or laughed at.
- Anxiety disorders with strong need for reassurance.
- Childlike senility and anxiety in the elderly.
- Thinking about problems worsens symptoms.
Ear, Nose, and Throat
Enlarged, hard cervical glands.
Chronic swelling of tonsils and adenoids. Tonsils may enlarge to the point of almost occluding the throat.
Difficulty in swallowing from swollen tonsils or glands.
Difficult in hearing from swollen tonsils or glands.
Smallness of genitals, ovaries, or uterus.
Bed-wetting or incontinence with anxiety.
Enlarged prostate gland.
Offensive and excoriating foot sweat.