Arnica montana (Arn.) is perhaps the best known homeopathic remedy for injuries and bruising to soft tissues. It’s useful for soreness and bruising after falls, blows, childbirth or surgery. It’s also useful for types of shock, concussion and sprains. An unusual symptom associated with Arnica is that after injury, the person may believe nothing is wrong with them, not want to be touched, want to be left alone, and will even send medical care away. Discharges (stool, belching, vomit) have to odour of spoiled, rotten eggs.
Injuries and Surgery
- Injuries or bruising from blunt (rather than sharp) objects.
- Sore, bruised pain.
- Promotes healing reduces bruising after surgery.
- Following dental extractions and procedures.
- Fear of the painful area being touched.
- Concussion, or complaints following concussion.
- Symmetrical eruptions on skin (the same on both sides of the body).
- Crops of small, painful boils
- (Note: do not use herbal-strength Arnica cream or tincture on broken skin.)
Joints and Muscles
- Sprains and strains.
- Soreness with bruised feeling from overexertion.
- Everything feels too hard and uncomfortable (seat, bed, pillow).
Heart and Circulation
- Angina pectoris with a bruised and sore sensation.
- Bed feels too hard.
- Restlessness when overtired.
- Sleeplessness from overexertion or exhaustion.
Pregnancy and Labor
- Movements of the unborn baby feel intense and painful.
- Does not want to be touched during labour.
- Bruised and sore sensation either during or after labour.
- Injuries that involve bruising or shock.
- After surgery.
- After birthing.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.