Argentum nitricum (Arg-n.) is a remedy when emotional and gastrointestinal (digestive) symptoms dominate. The person is prone to flatulence (gassiness) with loud explosive belches or noisy diarrhoea. They are nervous, anxious and susceptible to strange thoughts which aren’t acted on, e.g. jumping from a height, throwing things at people, dropping a baby that’s being carried. Fears and anxieties may involve crowds, being alone, anticipation, running late, heights, fainting, or undertaking new things. They’re empathetic people but impulsive, suggestible, volatile, and weep or laugh easily. Those needing Arg-n overheat easily, feel worse in warm rooms, and after eating sweet things (which they may crave). They’re better for cool or open air, or washing with cool water. Pains may feel pressing or splinter-like.
· Nervous, impulsive, and hurried.
· Strange, frightening, or foolish thoughts, e.g. jump from a height; throw things at people; drop their baby.
· Sympathetic but suggestible.
· Heights, claustrophobia, bridges, being late.
· Numerous anxieties, fears, and phobias, e.g. crowds, being alone, stage fright, running late, heights, undertaking new things, fainting.
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
· Craves salt, sweets, or salt and sweet combined.
· May also dislike sweets, or sweets cause symptoms and health problems.
· Distended abdomen.
· Diarrhoea from anticipation and anxiety.
· Flatulent (gassy) with loud, explosive belching or noisy diarrhoea.
· Headaches feel better for pressure or tight bandaging.
· Splinter like pain during sore throat.
· Hoarseness, especially in public speakers or singers.
· Intense palpitations – as if the heart could jump out of the chest.
· Impotence worsened by thinking about it.
· Conjunctivitis relieved by cold applications.
· Anxious, dependent animals which seek coolness and avoid the heat.
· Anxiety in the show ring.
· Conjunctivitis in which inflamed areas look like raw meat.
While above self-limiting or acute complaints are suitable for home treatment, see your healthcare provider if symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Chronic or persistent complaints, which may or may not be mentioned above, require a different treatment and dosage protocol so are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
For acute and self-limiting complaints, take one pill or five drops of the remedy every 15 minutes to 4 hours (15 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance. Chronic symptoms or complaints require a course of professional treatment to manage the changes in potencies and remedies that will be required.